Students must apply for admission to the College and to the practical nursing program by the published deadline date. Before applying, students must meet all application requirements listed below and attend a Health Sciences Information Session. Students who do not meet the minimal application requirements will not be considered for acceptance to the program. Meeting minimal application requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program. (Please note that application requirements and procedures may change without prior notice. Please check with Health Sciences Division and/or website for updates prior to applying.)
In addition to the general admission requirements of the College, application to the Practical Nursing program requires:
- Health Sciences Information Session Attendance Verification (must attach ORIGINAL document of verification to nursing application).
- unconditional admission to the College (see College catalog for requirements).
- 2.5 grade point average (GPA) calculated on completed academic core courses, and;
- current or previous Southern Union students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at SUSCC.
- transfer students must enter SUSCC on clear academic status (cumulative 2.0 gpa);
- official transcripts received by Records Office (Wadley Campus) from ALL previous post-secondary institutions (or high school transcripts for students with no previous college enrollment).
- student meet eligibility requirements for English 101, Math 100, and satisfaction of the College reading requirement.
- official score on ACT National or ACT Residual. (Note: The TEAS will no longer be accepted for admission to the program after February 1, 2016. The ACT will replace the TEAS for admission to the practical nursing program beginning with February 2017 admission.)
- application for Practical Nursing Program delivered to Health Sciences Admissions before published deadline.
Admission to the Practical Nursing Program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of clinical facilities available. After meeting minimal requirements, applicants are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on score on ACT National or ACT Residual and quality points from selected college courses (or high school courses for students who have not attempted college coursework.) Students who have completed 12 credit hours of required academics for nursing at SUSCC are awarded 10 points towards admission.
Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Helpful Student Resources
Application to PN Program
Practical Nursing Brochure
Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
Health Sciences Information Session
Estimated Cost of the Program
Calculator for Core GPA
Background Checks and Drug Screening
Nursing Student Handbook 2016-17
Addendum to Nursing Student Handbook 2016-17
Preceptor Manual for NUR 115
Gainful Employment Information
After admission to a program, students enrolling in health science courses must provide Southern Union State Community College with the required health care data before registering for the first semester of the nursing program. Clinical agencies mandate that students provide information regarding their current health status (annual physical examination and essential functions) that may affect the safety of the student or the client in the clinical settings. Click here for health forms and requirements checklist. Students will not be allowed to register for NUR classes until all health requirements have been received by the Health Sciences Division.
After admission to a health sciences program at SUSCC, students must complete a comprehensive background check and drug screening. Background checks and drug screening will be conducted by one vendor approved by the clinical agencies. Students who do not clear the Background Check will not be allowed to register for nursing courses. Students who do not pass the drug screening will be withdrawn from the nursing program. Find more information on the Background Check and Drug Screening by clicking here.
Students in the Health Sciences must demonstrate proof of health insurance. Students without proof of health insurance will not be allowed to register for health sciences courses or attend clinical. If you do not have insurance you may obtain information regarding insurance offered to SUSCC students at www.studentplanscenter.com or call 1-877-272-4532.