Students must apply for admission to the nursing program by one of the published deadline dates. Before applying for the nursing program, students must meet ALL application requirements listed below. Students who do not meet the minimal application requirements will not be considered for acceptance to the program.
Meeting minimal application requirements does not guarantee acceptance to the program.
(Please note that application requirements and procedures may change without prior notice. Check with Health Sciences Division and/or website for updates prior to applying.)
In addition to the general admission requirements of the College, application to the Associate Degree Nursing program requires:
- Health Sciences Information Session Attendance Verification (must attach ORIGINAL document of verification to nursing application);
- unconditional admission to the College (see College catalog for requirements);
- 2.5 grade point average (GPA) calculated on completed academic core courses and;
- current or previous Southern Union students must have a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at SUSCC.
- transfer students must enter SUSCC on clear academic status (cumulative 2.0 gpa);
- official transcripts received by Records Office (Wadley Campus) from ALL post-secondary institutions attended (or official transcripts from high school/GED scores for those who have never attended college);
- meeting eligibility requirements for English 101 and Math 100 and satisfaction of the College reading requirement;
- official score on ACT National or ACT Residual (mininum composite score of 18);
- submission of application for Associate Degree Nursing Program by deadline.
Admission to the Associate Degree Nursing Program is competitive, and the number of students admitted is limited by the number of clinical facilities available. After meeting minimal application requirements, applicants are rank-ordered for acceptance using a points system based on score on ACT National or ACT Residual (mininum composite score of 18) and quality points from selected college courses. Additional points may be awarded. Please see program application worksheet for criteria.
Meeting minimal requirements does not guarantee acceptance.
Helpful Student Resources
Application to ADN Program
Brochure on ADN Program
ACT Residual Testing
Calculator for Core GPA
Estimated Cost of Program
Health Requirements and Forms
Background Checks and Drug Screening
Nursing Student Handbook 2017-18
Preceptor Manual for NUR 115
Preceptor Manual for NUR 221
Students enrolling in a health sciences program must provide Southern Union State Community College with the required health care data after admission to the program but prior to registering for nursing classes. Clinical agencies mandate that students provide information regarding their current health status (annual physical and essential functions) that may affect the safety of the student or the client in the clinical settings. Click here for health forms and requirements checklist. Students will not be allowed to register for NUR classes until health records are received by the Health Sciences Division.
After admission to a health sciences program at SUSCC, students must complete a comprehensive background check and drug screening. Background checks and drug screening will be conducted by one vendor approved by the clinical agencies. Students who do not clear the Background Check will not be allowed to register for nursing courses. Students who do not pass the drug screening will be withdrawn from the nursing program. Find more information on the Background Check and Drug Screening by clicking here.
Students in the Health Sciences must demonstrate proof of personal health insurance. Students without proof of health insurance will not be allowed to register for health sciences courses or attend clinical. If you do not have insurance you may obtain information regarding insurance offered to SUSCC students at www.studentplanscenter.com or call 1-877-272-4532.