Southern Union State Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

Will the FastTrack courses be taken at the Opelika, Wadley or Valley Campus?

The prerequisite general education courses required for the program may be taken at any campus. During the Emergency Medical Services portion of the program, courses may be offered in Valley or Opelika. Typically, during the nursing portion of the program, the classes are offered only in Opelika.

What do I need to do to become a paramedic/nurse?

There are two (2) applications you must complete before you can possibly start the FastTrack Program. Students must first apply to the College and be accepted. Then students must apply for admission to the FastTrack program by the published deadline date.  Applications are accepted one time each year. Before applying to the FastTrack program, the student must meet ALL admission requirements that can be found for each program under “Admission Requirements”.  Not every applicant who qualifies for the program will be accepted due to the competitive admission process.

When can I begin the FastTrack?

You must apply for general admission to the College and to the program before the published deadline date and be accepted to the program. The Paramedic-RN FastTrack programs admits one time each year,  fall semester.  Check out the application dates and requirements for the particular program to which you plan to apply.


What prerequisites are required for the FastTrack?

Students must meet requirements for the program as listed in the Admission Requirements section AND must have completed the program general education prerequiste courses with a grade of C or higher.

If I meet the “Admission Requirements”, will I be accepted to the program?

Not necessarily. Admission is competitive; all applicants are rank-ordered according to their admission test scores and grades. Those applicants with the highest scores will be on the top of the list.  Attend a Health Sciences Information Session for more details.

Must my ‘health requirements’ be met before I apply for admission?

No, health requirements will be due AFTER admission to the program.  Do not submit any health or immunization records with your application.

How do I apply to the FastTrack program?

There is an application to the program available on the website or you can obtain one from the Health Sciences Admissions Office on the Opelika Campus.  You must attend a Health Sciences Information Session within one year of the application deadline and the program application must be received by the published deadline.  The ORIGINAL Verification of Health Sciences Information Session Attendance must be attached to the program application for your application to be considered.

May I fax in the application for the College and/or FastTrack Program?

No, original documents must be received by given deadlines.

How long is the waiting list?

SUSCC does not have a “Waiting List”. Students must submit a complete application for the program before the published deadline to be included in the rank order for acceptance. The top students are admitted and the next several students are placed on an alternate list in case an opening becomes available before the program begins.

I applied a year ago and was on the waiting list at that time. Why haven’t I heard anything?

The “alternate list” is only used for a brief time; it is used until the beginning of the program following the application deadline. Students must reapply if they are not admitted.

How will I be notified about program acceptance/admission?

By U.S. mail. You will receive a letter of standing 4-6 weeks after deadline date.

To what address will the letter be sent?

The letter is sent to the address that is on file in the Records Office of the College. Be sure to keep your College records updated and verify correct address before the deadline.

My grade point average (GPA) is 4.0 but I did not get into the program; a friend was accepted with a 2.5 GPA. Why?

Admission to the nursing program is NOT based on the applicant’s cumulative gpa.  The admission is based on a combination of a test score and grades in certain courses.  Attend a Health Sciences Information Session for more complete details.


May I deliver my official transcripts by hand?

No.  The Registrar’s office requires transcripts be mailed directly from the sending school to SUSCC Admissions Office in Wadley, Alabama.

Do I need to send an official SUSCC transcript to Health Sciences Admissions?

No.  Official transcripts must be located in the Records Office. It is recommended you verify transcripts have been received well in advance of application deadline.

Must all transcripts be sent to Southern Union even if that credit will not be used for the program?

Yes, official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities that you have ever enrolled in must be sent to the Records Office.  If any official transcipt is missing, your application will be denied.

I received a letter stating my transcripts were not received in the Records Office by the deadline. I requested them from my previous school over 2 (or more) weeks ago. Why was my application denied?

The nursing program has deadline date(s) published well in advance and those dates do not vary.  It is the applicant’s responsibility to know about the deadline(s) and abide by the requirements.  The admission process cannot be delayed because an applicant did not allow enough time for all records to be received.  Transcripts are stamped with a “Received” date as they are received by the Records Office.  The nursing admission office respects this date as accurate and does not consider transcripts received after the deadline.  It is recommended that transcript requests be made not less than 30 days prior to the deadline.  It is the applicant’s responsibility to contact the Records Office in advance to ensure that transcripts have been received.  Neither SUSCC, nor the Nursing Program, can be responsible for the speed or accuracy of the U.S. mail or the speed with which another institution mailed the transcripts.


Can I take EMS/nursing courses online?

SUSCC does not teach EMS or nursing courses online at the present time although computer testing and some hybrid courses may exist in the curriculum.

Can I take EMS/nursing in the evening?

The FastTrack classes are taught primarily in the day.  Some labs or clinicals may be late afternoon, evening, or weekend.

Do you offer a part-time option for the FastTrack Program?

The EMS/nursing courses must be taken in sequence as outlined in the curriculum.  Students must also take the corequisites that are required during the semester they are enrolled if they have not previously been completed with a grade of C or higher.

If I have am already a licensed EMT or AEMT, can I finish the program early?

It takes a minimum of 7 semesters beginning with fall semester to complete the program.  Each EMS/nursing course must be taken as outlined in the FastTrack curriculum.  Students who are already licensed EMT's or AEMT's are not required to repeat that part of the program but will not be able to advance more quickly through the program.

After I have been accepted to the FastTrack program, how many days per week will I be in class, lab, or clinical?

On average, you will be in class 2-3 days per week.  Clinical times and days will vary each semester.


Where will I attend clinical?

A variety of clinical agencies are used within a 65-70 mile radius of the Opelika Campus.  You may attend different sites during the same semester.

May I choose where I attend clinical?

No.  Efforts are made to accommodate students’ needs when possible. However, the learning experiences require a broad variety of clinical experiences that can only be attained by attending a variety of clinical sites.


What are essential functions?

Physical and mental requirements for performing the duties of a particular health science program.

Must I have the Essential Functions form signed by physician when I apply for admission?

No.  Students must acknowledge the physical and mental requirements of the program before they apply.  A physician’s signature is required after acceptance.

When are my health records due to be turned in?

Your health records will need to be turned in AFTER admission to the program.  Instructions will accompany your acceptance letter.

Can I be certified with Professional Rescuer CPR from Red Cross?

No, most clinical contractual agreements require American Heart Association, Health Care Provider level with AED.

May I register for EMS/NUR classes before health requirements are met?

No.  You can register for the corequisite academic courses but not the EMS/NUR courses.  Students who do not complete the health requirements by the deadline given to them in the acceptance letter will lose their place in the program.

I don’t have the money to complete the health requirements. Why does SUSCC require so many?

The clinical agencies that SUSCC contracts with have certain requirements to guarantee the health and safety of their patients. Students are required to meet those stipulations so that they can attend the clinical settings for their education.  These requirements will be necessary for anyone in a healthcare field while in school and later during employment. Please keep a copy of your records because SUSCC does not keep those after you leave the program.


Does SUSCCC have a job placement office?

No. During the program, students are attending clinical agencies where they make contacts with potential employers and during the final semester potential employers recruit students on campus.

The curriculum indicates I need a humanities elective. What course(s) will count for the humanities elective?

Most courses from Area II of the Alabama General Studies Curriculum (AGSC) can be used to satisfy the humanities elective requirement. The courses taught at SUSCC that can be used for the elective are: ART 100, Art Appreciation; MUS 101, Music Appreciation; THR 120, Theater Appreciation; IDS 102, Ethics; HUM 101, Introduction to Humanities; SPA 101 or 102, Introductory Spanish; HPS 113, Spanish for the Healthcare Professional; GRN 101, Introductory German I, ENG 271 or 272, World Literature; REL 151, Survey of Old Testament; or REL 152, Survey of New Testament. If you are transferring from other colleges or universities, you should check with an Academic Advisor regarding transfer of your course(s).