Admissions and Records

Apply now to SUSCC using our FREE admissions application!

Southern Union welcomes high school graduates, GED recipients, transfer or transient students from other colleges and universities, and former SU students. There are also opportunities for eligible high school students who meet SU admissions requirements to enroll in college classes concurrently with high school classes.

How to Apply:

  1. Submit an online application through our online portal.
  2. Submit a copy of your primary ID if you did not submit with your application.
  3. Submit a copy of your Official High School Transcript or GED Transcript.
  4. Submit copies of all Official College transcript(s). (Transfer students only!)
  5. Submit Dual Enrollment Form (High School students only!)
  6. Submit Transient Permission Letter (Transient students only!)


Your application for general admission provides us with the information we need to get you started. Once you've submitted your application, the admissions office must receive a copy of your driver's license or other acceptable forms of identification, as well as your high school or GED transcript and any college transcripts. 


If you have previously applied for general admission to Southern Union but did not enroll, or have previously been enrolled but have not attended Southern Union for three or more consecutive semesters, you are a returning student. We are proud you have chosen Southern Union to help you attain those goals!

1. General Application. If you have missed three or more consecutive semesters you must update college records by applying for readmission online

2. Submit Official Proof of Identification. The Admissions Office must receive appropriate identification to complete the admission process. For admission, applicants must present one primary form of identification. Applicants should submit the identification in person. Applicants can also email a copy of their identification to

Examples of primary forms of identification:

  • Unexpired Alabama Driver’s License or instruction permit
  • Unexpired Alabama identification card
  • Unexpired U.S. Passport
  • Unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card
  • Resident Alien Card - Pre-1997
  • Unexpired Driver’s License or instruction permit from another state or possession that verifies lawful presence, dated 2000 and beyond
  • U.S. Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151) prior to 1978
  • BIA or tribal identification card with photo
  • I -797 Form with expiration date
  • Voter identification card from a state that verifies lawful presence

3. Provide the following official documents to the Admissions Office: 

Official transcripts from all accredited colleges or universities you have attended since you last attended Southern Union.

Students who have a lapse in enrollment of more than six semesters must submit updated transcripts from all previously attended institutions. 

  Non-U.S. Citizens and Non-U.S. Permanent Residents are not eligible for conditional admission status. The following documents are required prior to registration. 

1. Submit an online application for general admission.

2. Completed International Student Application.

3. If you attended high school/college in the United States, an official transcript with a valid graduation date is required. High school transcripts must come directly from the institution. If you attended high school/college outside of the United States, transcripts must be translated into English and submitted by one of the following evaluators:

4.  Immunization/Medical Form 


Records Office Forms and Information: 

Requesting Transcripts from Southern Union State Community College

For information on how to request educational records or transcripts from Southern Union, please refer to the following website: Transcript Requests


Course Forgiveness Policy When a course is repeated more than once, all grades for the course - excluding the first grade - will be employed in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. A course may be counted only once toward fulfillment of credit hours for graduation. Course forgiveness does not influence aid nor transfer GPA. When a course is repeated one time, the last grade awarded (excluding grades of “W”) replaces the previous grade in the computation of the cumulative grade point average. The grade point average during the term in which the course was first attempted will not be affected. The official transcript will list the course and grade each time it is attempted. This policy applies to Southern Union State Community College courses only. Implementation of forgiveness does not guarantee that other institutions will approve such action. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institutions.

A student may request forgiveness for courses by completing a “Request for Course Forgiveness” form. Once you have completed the form, you can submit it in person, by mail, or by email to

Course Forgiveness Form


Academic bankruptcy is the removal of one to three semesters of grades from the calculation of a student’s cumulative grade point average (GPA). The following applies to any request for academic bankruptcy:

1. Academic bankruptcy is initiated by a written request from the student to the registrar/records official.

2. Upon receipt of the student’s request, the college will inform the student that an award of academic bankruptcy may impact his/her financial aid status.

3. Academic bankruptcy may only be declared once and may be applied to no more than three (3) semesters, which do not have to be consecutive.

4. The bankrupted courses and grades remain on the transcript but are not calculated in the student’s cumulative GPA.

5. None of the coursework taken during a semester for which academic bankruptcy is declared, including hours completed satisfactorily, will be used to fulfill degree requirements.

6. To be eligible for academic bankruptcy, the student must have completed 12 semester credit hours or coursework at the college since the most recent semester for which the academic bankruptcy is being requested. A grade of “C”, “S”, or higher is required in each course in 12 semester credit hours in the post-bankruptcy period.

7. When a student receives a declaration of academic bankruptcy, a permanent notation of “ACADEMIC BANKRUPTCY” will be reflected on the transcript for each semester affected.

8. Approval of the academic bankruptcy status at a college does not guarantee other institutions will honor that status. This determination will be made by the respective transfer institution(s).


Academic Bankruptcy Form

Once you have completed the form, you can submit it in person, by mail, or by email to

Admission Appeals

One Semester Appeals

Southern Union has developed an intervention program to assist students who are on a one term academic suspension. If you choose to appeal your suspension and participate in the intervention program, you will be permitted to re-enroll at Southern Union.

To appeal your suspension and take advantage of this opportunity, contact your assigned academic advisor to enroll in the Intervention for Student Success Program:

Wadley - Carol Howell,, 256-395-2211 ext. 5403

Opelika - Academic Division- Jeremy Taunton,, 334-234-6475 ext. 5305

                Health Science Division- Chiquita Brooks,, 334-745-6475 ext. 5547

                Technical Division- Amanda Harkins,, 334-745-6475 ext. 5411

Valley - Robin Brown,, 334-756-4151 ext. 5204.

One Year Suspension Appeals

Deadlines for one year suspension appeals

All academic suspension appeals must be completed by the dates below:

Fall 2022
To be considered for readmission for the Fall 2022 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by August 1, 2022.

Spring 2023
To be considered for readmission for the Spring 2023 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by December 6, 2022.

Summer 2023
To be considered for readmission for the Summer 2023 Semester, the academic suspension appeals application and supporting documentation must be received by April 27, 2023.


Academic Suspension Appeals Application (1 year)

Completed appeal applications may be submitted by email to

Application and Deadlines for Instate Eligibility

Eligibility for in-state tuition is determined in one of three ways: legal residency, substantial connections, or non-resident request. Residency is determined at the time of admissions acceptance. If you are currently classified as out-of-state but feel you may be eligible for in-state tuition, please see the application for in-state eligibility below.  

Application for Instate Eligibility

Deadlines for Instate Residency

  • Spring 2023 - 11-28-2022
  • Summer 2023 - 05-04-2023
  • Fall 2023 - TBA
Admissions & Records Office Hours, Fall &  Spring:
Monday – Thursday: 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Friday: 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Admission & Records Office Hours, Summer:
Monday - Thursday: 7:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday: College closed